After years of work with natural search engine optimization, here is my understanding of how a search engine thinks and how crawler evaluate page content:
- If the same word appears in the title, meta description, meta tags alt-tags and
between 5 – 10% of the body content, then this is probably what this site is about.
- If this information appears in the headers of pages and paragraphs, it is probably an indication of important content.
- If this same word or phrase occupies more than 11% of the content, the web site is perhaps using suspect means to trick the search engine into higher page ranking and therefore the site should be “demoted”.
- If the content contains synonyms that relate to the most frequently used keyword or phrase, this page most likely deserves a higher ranking.
- The most frequently used words or phrases on the front page of the web site are probably the strongest indicator what this site is about.
- If this site gets a lot of traffic, it is probably a more important site that deserves a higher ranking.
- If other highly ranked sites link to this site, it is likely a site that also deserves a higher ranking.
- If some of the content changes regularly, it is probably a more important site.