Opt-in and double opt-in to email subscription lists have become standard practice. Once a recipient is on the list, it is still a long road to driving the message home.
Here are a few tips:
- Build your list carefully (opt-in and double opt-in)
- Segment your list so that you can target market
- Add new email address to the correct lists on a regular basis
- Make reading the email a good experience (layout, content)
- Give something (discount, coupon, information, special offer…)
- Be honest: give what you promise
- Keep it short (subject line and content)
- Entice with your subject line (e.g. the Weigh Watchers newsletter with "Stop Self-Sabotage)
- Provide a reason to click through to a landing page on your site
- Provide relevant content
- Use small, consistently sized photos
- Remember the branding (top left on the page is a good spot)
- Timing (consistent, not too often)
- Take HTML and non HTML browsers into account (it has to be readable in text format)
- Make sure you add the “Subscribe” function to your web site and blog.
- Use E-mail software such as http://www.constantcontact.com/
Why use Email software?
- It makes it easy to manage (build, segment and edit) your distribution lists
- It limits your email being seen as SPAM
- It allows you to track the results of your distribution such as open rates, unsubscribe rates, click-through rates and bounce rates.
- It is set up to prompt you for all the necessary elements, such as unsubscribe message and e-mail address, contact information.
- It manages your distribution lists for you and notifies you when someone subscribes or un-subscribes.
- It keeps an archive of your newsletters online.
- If offers features such as a visitor sign-up box to use on your web site; a "Send Page to Friend" link for your web site and a special feature that allows your subscribers to forward your email and add a personal note to their friends