Rohit says "being good with social media has very little to do with your technical ability." (big relief eh!) Essentially he makes these points - please read his full post for the entire picture...
- Be conversational
- Listen and respond
- Proactively comment and share
- Use questions in stead of statements
- Find groups and participate with those who share your passion
- Complement social media by meeting people - there is no substitute for knowing people in person
- Invoke good karma by genuinely helping, supporting and sharing with others
To this I would add: Find your topic and style and stick to it. This is a way to create followers that are loyal because they know what to expect from you - just like a good friend would.
I recommend Rohit's Influential Marketing blog for information about online marketing that is actually useful to business owners.