Tineke's Blueberry and Lemon Pastries
This amazing recipe is a staple at Tineke Gow’s Campbell House and the Artisan Inn in Trinity, Newfoundland. It has topped off many an amazing meal in the Twine Loft.
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup yellow corn meal
6 tbsp. icing sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 large eggs
1/2 cup of sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. milk (Tineke recommends whole milk)
2 cups of wild blueberries (10 oz)
3 tbsp. apricot jam, heatd and strained
To make crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a buttered 8 inch square glass baking dish with 2 sheets of foil, overlapping them in opposite directions so there is overhang on all four sides.
- Pulse together flour, cornmeal, salt, icing sugar and butter until mixture resembles course meal.
- Press into bottom of baking dish and 1 inch up the sides. Bake in the middle of the oven until golden brown, about 20 min.
Make filling while crust bakes:
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, flour and zest.
- Whisk in the juices, mlk and a pinch of salt.
- Toss blueberries with jam into another bowl.
- Whisk egg mixture and immediately pour into crust.
- Bake until set, about 17 minutes.
- Gently spoon berries evenly over top and bake 2 minutes more.
- Transfer baking dish to a rack and cool.
- Drizzle with a little Grand Marnier. (Or Vanderhum)
- Chill overnight. Use foil to lift out of dish and cut into squares.
Tineke’s team services it on a beautiful glass plate, with a bit of sifted powder sugar and a few miniature pansy flowers from her garden as garnish.
Audrey’s Blueberry Muffins
2 c flour
2/3 c sugar
2/3 c milk
1 c berries
1 t vanila
2 t baking powder
2/3 c margarine or butter
Mix sugar and margarine. Add eggs. Add vanilla. Add flour and milk. Add berries last, stirring gently so that berries remain in tact.
Bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees F.